Living By Water Resources
This section hightlights several Living by Water publications, and is still under construction. If you have, or know of, a shoreline resource that you would like to share, please contact us with a brief description of the resource.
- On the Living Edge: Your Handbook for Waterfront Living . Written by and for waterfront residents, this user-friendly handbook provides the practical information you need to enjoy and protect your natural surroundings and investments. Table of Contents
- Shoreline Event and Activity Manual. This manual is full of ideas for exciting events and activities, with case study examples. It includes tools and tips for planning your own shoreline event or activity. Check out the Table of Contents.
- Shoreline Ambassador Manual. Everyone anywhere can have an impact on our shorelines. This manual shows how your group can use the Shoreline Ambassador Program to raise awareness and inspire action in your community. It provides examples of how you can use Living by Water Project resources to reward people who take action - or commit to do so - to keep shorelines healthy. Take a peek at the Table of Contents.
- Homesite Assessment Program Manual. This guides you in carrying out a homesite visit program for waterfront residents. The manual gives you tips on such elements as promoting the program, hiring assessors, and communicating with your clients. Have a look through the Table of Contents.
- Workshop-in-a-Box Manual. This will help you plan and facilitate hands-on Living by Water workshops for waterfront residents in your community. The manual includes tips on promoting your workshop, planning its contents, choosing a venue, and hosting the workshop. (We're sorry, this is currently under revision and not available at this time.)
- We support you in strengthening your group's capacity to deliver services; our paper on Conservation Marketing Tools and Techniques explains our approach.
1. LbyW -- Backyard vegetation, wetlands and the West Nile Virus- Interim Infobulletin
Infobulletin provides information on West Nile Virus, how it is transmitted, where the mosquitoes live, and tips on preventing West Nile Virus and controlling mosquitoes.
2. LbyW -- BC Native Plant Nurseries
A list of native plant nurseries in BC as well as websites and other information. Some listed websites can be accessed through our Weblinks page from our Shoreline Resources Database.
3. LbyW -- Children's Educational Resource List
A list of educational resources on shoreline and water-related topics for children. List provides references to websites, links, and publications to activities and materials for children of all ages.
4. LbyW - Christina Lake Shoreline Notes
4 page brochure describing simple tips for shoreline residents on Christina Lake, B.C. Publ. 1999. Applicable to other lakes.
5. LbyW -- Conservation Marketing Tools and Techniques of the Living by Water Project
Conservation marketing builds on modern ethical business marketing, and on the tools and techniques of both community-based social marketing and environmental education. This paper outlines some of ...
6. LbyW -- Green Guest Guide
This is a brief flyer that summarizes tips for cottage guests and other visitors to shorelines to help protect them.
7. LbyW - Homesite Assessment Program Manual
This manual guides you in carrying out a homesite visit program for waterfront residents. It gives you tips on such elements as promoting the program, hiring assessors, and communicating with your ...
8. LbyW -- Importance of Shorelands
Information sheet explains what a "riparian area" is, the importance and role of shorelands, and the many benefits that healthy shorelines provide. This sheet is also a good resource for ...
9. LbyW - On the Living Edge - Your Handbook for Waterfront Living
Written by and for waterfront residents, this user-friendly handbook provides the practical information you need to enjoy and protect your natural surroundings and ...
10. LbyW -- Septic system "biffy" notice
A friendly notice that anyone on a septic system or other onsite sewage treatment system can post in their bathroom or over their kitchen sink. It acts as a reminder of what is safe to be flushed ...
11. LbyW - - Shoreline Ambassador Manual
This web-version manual shows how your group can use the Shoreline Ambassador Program to raise awareness and inspire action in your community. It provides examples of how you can use Living by Water ...
12. LbyW-- Shoreline Event & Activity Manual: Appendices for BC
Appendices are for the Shoreline Event & Activity Manual. Some appendices have been adapted for the BC region with BC references and resources listed. Please contact your nearest regional office ...
13. LbyW - Shoreline Event and Activity Manual
This manual is full of ideas for exciting events and activities you could hold. It provides tools and tips for planning your own shoreline event or activity, and includes case study examples. from ...
14. LbyW -- Water Quality Starts at Home! Simple Tips, Lasting Benefits
These simple tips are what you can do in your home and around your yard to help protect water quality-- it really does start at home!
15. LbyW - Workshop-in-a-Box Manual
This manual will help you plan and facilitate hands-on Living by Water workshops for waterfront residents in your community. It includes tips on promoting your workshop, planning its contents, ...
We are continuously posting new materials so be sure to visit again. If you have information you?d like added to our database, email us.
1. B.C. Factsheet - Marine Guide to Preventing Shoreline Erosion
Prepared by Habitat & Enhancement Branch, Pacific Region - DFO, 4 pages, 2001
This brochure provides some information and advice on dealing with shoreline erosion. This includes: ...
2. B.C. Factsheet - Marine Guide to Small Boat Launches
Boat lauch structures can have direct, indirect and cumulative impacts on sensitive fish habitat. This brochure provides advice on how to protect this fragile environment when considering building ...
3. B.C. Factsheet - Marine Guide to Small Boat Moorage
Boat moorage structures, such as docks, can have direct, indirect and cumulative impacts on the sensitive fish habitat. This brochure provides advice on how to protect this fragile environment when ...
4. B.C. Factsheet - Marine Guide to Stormwater Runoff
Concentrated runoff being discharged from pipes onto the shoreline could harm the sensitive marine ecosystem and important fish habitat. This brochure provides advice on how to protect this fragile ...
5. Caring for our Shores - A Handbook for Coastal Landowners in the Strait of Georgia
Shannon Cowan, Christy Wilson, and Bill Austin. 1998. 54 pp. An introduction for coastal landowners to topics such as natural buffers, sewage disposal, and toxic products. Contains references for ...
6. Cottage Water Systems
Described as an out-of-the-city guide to pumps,plumbing, water purification and privies. Excellent reference book. 150 pp. Author: Max Burns, 1993, updated 1999.
Order through Cottage Life ...
7. Lakescaping for Wildlife and Water Quality
Carrol J. Henderson, Carolyn J. Dindorf, Fred J. Rozumalski. Minnesota Dep of Natural Resources. 2000. 175 pp. Shows how to plan and plant a diverse natural lakeshore landscape. Emphasis on ...
8. Life on the Edge.. Owning Waterfront Property
Authors: Dresen,Michael D., and Korth, Robert.
UWEX Lakes Partnership College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin. 1995.
An easy to read guide for waterfront owners; ...
9. Naturescape B.C. - Caring for Wildlife Habitat at Home - The Stewardship Series
The Naturescape B.C. program is about restoring, preserving, and enhancing wildlife habitat in our urban and rural landscapes throughout the province. Naturescape guides and booklets include the ...
10. Take the Plunge -- The Stewardship of Ontario's Waters
Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Associations. 1998. 238 pp.
Chapters include topics of interest to shoreline residents (such as septic systems, shorelands, and wildlife) and topics of ...
11. The Dock Primer - A Cottager's Guide to Waterfront-Friendly Docks
Author: Max Burns, 23 pages
This primer points both the confirmed do-it-yourselfer and the equally confirmed purchase-it-yourselfer in the direction of good docks and good dock-building ...
12. The Septic System Owner's Manual
Lloyd Kahn, Blair Allen and Julie Jones. Bolinas, California. 2000. 163 pp.
Excellent information on septic systems.
Tel: 800 307 0131
13. The Shore Primer - A Cottager's Guide to a Healthy Waterfront
Author: Ray Ford, 22 pages, 2000
Information on how to preserve your shoreline's true nature and tips on restoring an altered shore.
14. Tree Book: Learning to Recognize Trees of British Columbia
Author: Roberta Parish & Sandra Thomson, 183 pages
The information in this book will help you to identify 40 different native trees of B.C. and help you understand why they grow where ...
15. Weeds of Canada and the Northern United States
Authors: France Royer & Richard Dickinson, 434 pages, 1999
This easy-to-use guide will help you identify more than 175 weed species across Canada. For each weed it includes information ...
The Living By Water Project
C/O Nature Canada
Phone: 613-562-3447, ext. 235
The information contained in this website has been adapted from On the Living Edge: Your Handbook for Waterfront Living. Sarah Kipp, lead author & Clive Callaway, co-author – ON ed.
View General Disclaimer